Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Why Riesling Should Be the New Chardonnay

Why should Riesling be the new Chardonnay?  Simple answer to this question… I like the varietal more.  And, as a fan of Riesling, I think there are some actual indications in the wine world that can (at least somewhat) justify my position here.
First of all, Riesling is relatively cheap.  It is possible to find a great Riesling for about $20.  And, while it is possible to find a good Chardonnay at almost any price point, I think Riesling’s consistent quality and low price points will allow for its expansion in the white wine market.  Think about it, back before Chardonnay became the white wine of choice for millions of people across the country, it had its small following and because of some positive press and improving quality, it exploded.
Riesling has hit its improving quality quota and is set up to explode.  Germany is producing some great examples of the varietal, as are both Oregon and Washington.  Wine Spectator has given Riesling, German wines, Oregon, and Washington some great press recently, and Jay-Z even gave Riesling some press in his last album.  Anytime a wine makes it into a rap song, you know a bump in popularity will follow (think Cristal).  The line I’m referring to is: “I’m beasting off the Riesling,” and while it doesn’t make much sense, it’s something that will get some people’s attention.  So high quality + low prices + publicity from traditional wine sources + added publicity from pop culture= justification for a spike in popularity.
Lastly, adding to my argument that Riesling is due to be the next big thing in white wine is the fact that it pairs with spicy foods.  Think about it wine lovers, pairing wine with Thai food, or more importantly with Mexican food?  Not easy, but Riesling works well.  Don’t believe me?  Try it out sometime.
Yes, I like Riesling on the whole much better than I do Chardonnay, so that was my reason for writing this post, but I think that this underappreciated varietal has a lot going for it right now and is in for bright days ahead.  And, if I’m wrong, well then I’ll still be happy because that means it will stay cheap.  And, better still, if I’m right, maybe this prediction will elevate my status as a wine writer/critic much the way the 1982 Bordeaux vintage did for Parker.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't read this post, but I disagree entirely with the title.

    ReplyDelete