Thursday, April 21, 2011

Yes, boxed wine is ok to bring too.

I’m going to Stagecoach, a country music festival next week and I came across this sentence in one of the answers to the FAQs on the festival’s website.  Added as an afterthought to a long paragraph stating allowable amounts of alcohol, the organizers decided that yes, boxed wine is ok to bring too.
I kinda had to laugh upon seeing this statement.  I think that in the paragraph talking about allowable beverages to bring to the event, they mentioned that no glass of any kind is allowed some five or six times, so I can (barely) see their need to clarify that our cherished Franzia in a plastic bag will be allowed at the venue, but I still found this amusing.
The main reason I’m amused with this is because of the stereotypes that are associated with country music fans, especially the country music fans that travel to festivals in the middle of the desert in their RVs.  And, to set the record straight, I’m partly talking about myself when referencing these stereotypes so it’s ok, I’m not judging.  But, my stereotypical country music fan is someone that drinks cheap beer (think PBR) from a can, and when they want something a bit classier, they reach for the Jack Daniels.  I don’t see wine being a drink of choice for Kenny Chesney fans, so Stagecoach’s inclusion of the wine clause as I’ll call it draws attention to the fact that more people are drinking wine these days.
Wine even pops up in country music from time to time.  Darius Rucker (who will be performing at Stagecoach) mentions red wine in the first line of his song, “Alright,” Dierks Bentley includes a glass of wine in the chorus of his song “Down on Easy Street,” Kenny Chesney “took Katie down by the river with a six dollar bottle of wine” in “Nothing More,” and Brad Paisley talks about Bordeaux in “Alcohol.”  These are just a few examples I can think of off the top of my head.  Being an exception to the norm (or my idea of the norm), my love of wine and country music finally seem to be more acceptable as likes found in a single individual.  So, bolstered by my newfound hope that wine is accepted in the country music world, I composed this list of wine pairings and country songs.  Note that all of these people will be performing at Stagecoach.
Kenny Chesney- “Summertime” with Beaujolais Nouveau.  You gotta chill the wine a bit, but Beaujolais makes for a great summer wine for summertime.  Classic combination of wine and song that put you in the summer state of mind.
Carrie Underwood- “Cowboy Casanova” with Franzia Burgundy.  I’d never try this pairing out myself, but I can see Cowboy Casanova drinking this wine when he’s leaning up against the record machine, thinking it makes him appear classy.
Rascal Flatts- “Too Good Is True” with Da Vinci Chianti.  Love the upbeat optimistic song with a great wine that is good vintage after vintage.  Both song and wine are a bit generic but they make great partners.
Darius Rucker- “Don’t Think I Don’t Think About It” with anything 5+ years old.  A song full of memories and feelings, touching on regret deserves a mature wine that has the ability to bring up some memories on its own.  The lyrics in this song make you think about the past and decisions made, and an old wine can bring up some of those same memories.
Josh Turner- “Your Man” with Kendal Jackson Chardonnay- buttery smooth wine flows with his smooth voice.  Also, a very romantic song so might as well choose a wine that both a guy and a girl can enjoy.
Jack Ingram- “Love You” with Bitch Grenache.  Lyrics of the song and name of the wine are perfect for each other.  Not a fan of the wine and not a real fan of Jack Ingram (he kinda fell off the map after his one hit, Love You).  Interesting combination that some sassy country loving lady will enjoy.
Easton Corbin- “A Little More Country Than That” with anything French.  I just laugh when I think about what a French wine snob would say if they saw this pairing in action.  About as conflicting in styles as you can get, but it works, and I think country music fans will appreciate the irreverent attitude toward French wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment