Tuesday, January 17, 2012

New Year, New Goals

So, one of my goals for 2011 was to write 100 blog posts.  I started off strong, but wasn’t able to keep up the torrid pace that I set in February and March.  I got close but work got in the way and I had to scale back my writing in order to keep up with my job.  Another contributory factor in my falling off last summer and at the end of last year was the fact that I went through a phase where I just didn’t drink that much wine.  Sure, I had those times when I went up to the Malibu winery and tasted and had those meals with friends where we tried several different wines, but I just didn’t have any of those wine experiences that made me want to write about the stuff.  I’m still trying to figure out how to consistently find “post worthy” topics on the world of wine, so any ideas along those lines would be appreciated.
I’m writing this post because I’ve obviously found one such post worthy topic to write about, and that comes in the form of one of my goals for 2012: making tasting notes on all the wine I drink.  It sounds really easy, kinda lame, but I’m hoping that once I work at it a bit, it’ll turn into a valuable source of information for me.  I did something like this a while back but it didn’t gain any traction so hopefully this attempt goes better.  I’ve bought myself 100 note cards, and each time I try a wine, I am going to make my own tasting notes on that note card and file it away so that hopefully that card will help me remember what I like, what I don’t, and what I need to/want to try more of.
Here’s how I’m going to do this.  On the top of each card, I’m going to write the name of the producer (ex. Gallo Family Vineyard).  Line 2 will have the varietal, the region, and the vintage (Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley, 2008).  Line 3 will have the date on which I tried the wine and the format in which I tasted it (1/6/12, standard 750ml bottle).  Lines 3- the end will have my tasting notes (Ripe fruit and spice smell, tannic taste that overpowers everything else, might need to breathe more, but a decent wine with a meal and a decent value when on sale).
I hope that once I start writing down my impressions of each wine, I’ll become a better taster and better writer on the subject.  I expect my initial attempts at creating my own notes to be generic and kinda lame, but am hoping that this practice will help me become more specific and discerning when it comes to assessing, writing about, and ultimately enjoying wine.  I’d recommend anyone that enjoys wine but struggles when it comes to figuring out why or what they like in it to try this out for a while.  In this day in age of smart phones, pretty much everyone can make these notes on their phones rather than by carrying around note cards, so it should be a somewhat painless task.  I’ll be sure to let you know how it goes.  It is said that Robert Parker tries 10,000 wines a year and while I know that I’ll only be able to taste a fraction of that number, I’m hoping that this new practice of mine survives until I make my next trip to a wine region so that I can really begin to learn characteristics of regions and wines for myself rather than just reading about them and then occasionally trying them.
This may not be your typical new year’s resolution, but it should be more enjoyable than most that I’ve made because after all, that’s the whole point when it comes to drinking wine.
I was serious when I asked for ideas on potential post topics, but for now, I think I have the next few figured out.  Later this week, I’m going to take a look at advertising in the wine industry and how/why it lags far behind advertising for the beers/tequilas/etc. of the adult beverage world.

1 comment:

  1. This post made me want to buy you a bottle of wine and attach a note card.

    ReplyDelete