Monday, March 14, 2011

Party Planning

I began to think about wine and special occasions this weekend when I was out running a few errands for a special occasion.  I know I’ve written briefly about drinking champagne for celebrations, but what about wines for a special birthday, anniversary, or even weddings.  When planning for an event like a birthday dinner, wedding, reunion, etc. many bottles of wine are likely to be involved, and some variety in varietals is likely necessary.  With large quantities, it’s unlikely that you’re willing or able to shell out the money necessary to buy that much expensive wine, so value is going to be a necessity.  But, because of the importance of the event, you’re also going to want something memorable (in a good way).  This creates quite the challenge, but I think I’ve got a few ideas for what I would personally do for a big dinner like this hypothetical one I’m writing about below. 
The first thing I’d do is to think about the total number of bottles I would need.  For simplicity’s sake, let’s say that number is 100.  Next, I’d look at my menu and see what varietals I’m going to want to get.  Because this is my party, it’s going to be Italian food, so Chianti is a must.  I’m also thinking that some Cabernet will be a nice safe choice for those that might not care for Chianti or might want something heavier.  Now, I need to look at whites.  Chardonnay is going to be tough to avoid, so against my better judgment, it’ll be the go to white wine.  As a secondary white, I’m going to go with Pinot Grigio to continue the Italian theme.  Lastly, I need some bubbly because it is a party, so the standard Brut will be the choice there.
I have my number of bottles needed; I know my varietals, so here is the break down that I’m going to use when I order the wine: Chianti will get 30 as the primary red, Chardonnay will get 30 as the primary white.  Cabernet and Pinot Grigio will get 15 each as my secondary, and the bubbly will get 10 for toasts, etc.  Now it is time to go shopping and figure out what I’m going to get for my party.  I’m going to shoot for under $10 per bottle and see if I can find a way to do under $8.  I’m hoping that I can find sales and get what I want for pretty cheap.  Buying in bulk should help too.
When it comes to Chianti, I know immediately that I’m going for Ruffino Chianti.  I know it is quality, it’s cheap, and it will be great for the party.  I’m hoping to get it for about $7.50 per bottle, and I know it’ll be a hit for the party.
Cabernet is pretty easy too, I’m going for Chateau Ste. Michelle Cabernet and at $9.00 per bottle, it is still well within my budget.
Chardonnay is tricky.  I know I won’t be entirely happy with whatever I choose, so I’m just going to go generic to try and please as many people as I can.  I decide Robert Mondavi’s basic line is the way to go.  I get the popular Chardonnay for $8.00 per bottle.
Pinot Grigio is pretty easy.  Gabbiano Pinot Grigio is my choice for this varietal, giving me an Italian style wine and a decent one that will fit within my budget.  This wine is also $8.00 per bottle.
For the bubbly, I’m going to go with Barefoot Bubbly Brut Cuvee.  Since it is mostly for toasts and the celebration aspect of the party, I’m not too worried about this one, so I’m just getting a drinkable wine that will give me another option and one that will add some festiveness to the party.  The Barefoot is $7.50 per bottle.
So, calculating it all out, I spent about $875 on the wine, getting enough to comfortably have 200 people at my party.  I’m not all the happy with all the wine that I choose, but I am happy that I was able to find a couple of wines that I would enjoy while still having a nice balance for my other guests to enjoy.
Now, I just need to come up with an occasion to put my party planning skills to the test.

No comments:

Post a Comment